The mineral fluoride has been long known for its fortification properties for the enamel of the teeth. When taken in the right dosage, fluoride can help strengthen the teeth and can also help reverse decay in early stages. Fluoride benefits the teeth by allowing remineralization of enamel that is eroded due to oral acids produced by food sugars and bacteria.
Fluoride can be obtained naturally from drinking water and certain foods, and can also be administered externally by means of fluoridated toothpastes, mouth rinses etc. Our office provides professional strength topical fluoride application treatments for patients who stand a higher risk of tooth decay. The procedure involves the application of a fluoride gel, foam or varnish to the teeth, which is washed off after some time and the patient is advised to avoid rinsing or eating for about an hour to help the teeth absorb the fluoride properly.
The following conditions may put people at a higher risk of tooth decay, which fluoride treatment can prevent
- Gum recession and gum disease can expose more of your teeth to bacteria, which can lead to tooth decay.
- Dry mouth conditions caused by diseases or medications lead to lack of saliva which makes it harder for food particles to be washed away and acids to be neutralized, putting your enamel at risk of demineralization.
- Dental work such as braces, crowns, bridges etc. can cause food to lodge between the teeth and lead to decay, especially for people who don’t take proper care of their teeth
- Patients who have deep grooves and pits in their teeth are prone to decay.
- Patients who consume sugary foods very frequently, or have a family history of cavities are at a higher risk of tooth decay.
If you need more information about the benefits of fluoride application treatments for the health of your teeth, please contact the office of Pompano Family Dental for a consultation. You can call us at (954) 526-1927.