It is always said that "prevention is better than cure." The saying holds true for your dental health as well. That is why the office of Pompano Family Dental offers a variety of preventive care treatments to protect your healthy and beautiful smile. One of the key measures in preventive dentistry is to protect the teeth from decay and cavities, and dental sealants are a great way to do that.
A sealant is essentially a thin coating of plastic material which is applied to smooth out the rough chewing surfaces of the teeth. The surfaces of our back teeth contain pits and fissures in them. These could house plaque and food debris and become a breeding ground for bacteria, causing cavities and decay. A sealant covers these up and prevents any deposits from forming on the tooth surface.
The application of dental sealants on the teeth is a simple process that involves the following steps:
- The surface of the tooth is cleaned and etched with a dental etching gel to help the sealant bond well.
- The sealant is applied to the tooth in a liquid plastic form using a small brush or a mini syringe.
- The sealant is allowed to set using a dental curing light.
- The sealant is ready to be used once it has fully hardened.
- We check your bite and also examine if all the grooves and pits have been sealed successfully
- The sealing process is finished Eating, drinking, chewing and other normal teeth functions can normally be performed immediately.
If you are considering dental sealants to help prevent tooth decay for yourself or for your children, please feel free to contact our office for a consultation. Call us at (954) 526-1927. Our experts will be more than happy to answer all your questions about the advantages and use of dental sealants.